Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nationalism and the Creation of Italy

The definition of Nationalism according to the document is the belief that one's greatest loyalty should not be a king or an empire, but to a nation of people who share a common culture or history.

I am nationalistic because I bond with and trust people around me that are from where I am from, and those who I know really well. I go to special party's for history, I go to my grandparents a lot, evem thpugh they live far away. I am loyal to go to them as much as I can, or that is whenever I get a chance.

I think that nationalism was used in a strange way. All of the Italian people were taking a lot of pain and punishment. So somehow all the people gathered together, and they wanted to revolt. Then they go together with some other countries that were also being pushed around by the same empire that was controlling Italy. They got together, and wanted to start a war to fight for their freedom. This war was called the "
Austro-Prussian War". This war was in 1866, and Prussia had won this war.

Italy was nothing before nationalism happened. Nationalism destroyed many empires/countries but it also build many countries that are still with us here today. Italy became
Italy thanks to nationalism. If it wasn't for that I wonder how it would be today.

No comments:

Post a Comment